Friday, August 7, 2009

Health Care

I've been reading the news today and I see lots of talk about Town Hall meetings getting violent and I want to make a few observations and share my opinion on somethings.

First of all, violence is not the way for either side. Open and honest debate, without the fear of reprise, is the American way.

Second, lawmakers have to stop forcing this issue down the throats of the American people. Sane people resort to violence only if they feel their opinions are not being listened to and their lifestyle is in danger. So what we are seeing should be a message to Congress that America is not be, and may not ever be, ready for what they are hearing regarding Healthcare Reform from Congress. You cannot force something that a significant percentage of the country is against. I won't even say it's the majority, all though more recent polls suggest it is. Even if it's the minority, that minority has too much of a voice to just roll over and let it happen. So take the passion you see on this debate as a sign that the country is not ready for what you are attempting to do.

Third, now the rhetoric about passing partisan bills and blaming the oppositions for refusing to compromise is coming from our President. He has identified himself as cut from the cloth. Make no mistake, compromise is a two way street. What you are asking for is not compromise, it's capitulation. It's surrender. Don't kid yourself into thinking you're on the high road.

Finally, here's my opinion and, yes, I've shared it with all three of my state's representatives in the House and Senate. I will never be in favor of universal health care and especially health care run by the federal government. I think that Medicare and Medicaid are full of problems and I would like to see them fixed. I agree that we need our healthcare system reformed but I do not think government control is the answer. Government control is never the answer. Oversight is one thing, control is another. We cannot keep healthcare competitive and effective without the private sector being in charge. At the same time, it seems that the private sector cannot be trusted without oversight.

Now, the other problem is that there are too many Americans uninsured. That's what I keep hearing and it's probably true. The real questions is "why?" Is it a desire to take care of oneself without relying on others? Is it a lack of resources to pay for insurance? Is it young adults who see themselves as bullet-proof and not in need of insurance? Probably all these and many more. So the question should be this: Will universal government-run healthcare solve all these isues? Well, yes, if it's forced on people. But forcing something like this on the American people infringes on their basic freedoms. I may find that drinking a glass of grapefruit juice every day would improve my health and be, in general, good for me. But let's face it, even if I liked grapefruit juice I would rebel against it if someone came along and said I "had" to drink it. If I was threatened with jail for not following that order, I'd submit to the handcuffs first. That's not just part of the American spirit, it's part of the human spirit. Don't force health insurance on me. Even if it's perfect and actually performs far better than every other socialized system out there, I don't want it. I will not accept it. If it's my choice, my way, I'll accept it. And if I don't want it, then leave me to die if you must. Good healthcare in our country is not a right, it's a privilege. I'd hate not to have it, but it should never be taken for granted either.

The system isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It needs reform. It needs to be fixed. It needs oversight. Let's do that. Don't throw away what we already have in order to create something that is based on ego, misinformation, and pure politics. Take an honest look and fix the system, don't throw it all way.

No comments:

Post a Comment