Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fines??? I've got better ideas

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind all these crazy health care reform options that include taxing or finding Americans for not getting mandatory health insurance. Why is there all this focus on making Americans pay money for Health Care no matter what?

It is my right to NOT buy health insurance if I can't afford or just don't want it. I regard any governmental intrusion on that right to be unconstitutional and an offense against my freedoms. It is nothing more than the government forcing something on me. That is an elimination of some more of my freedom.

The problem with all these options being put forward by democrats right now is that they are aimed at the American people, not the health insurance companies. Any increase in expense to the Health Insurance industry will eventually be passed along directly to the insured or to the government and, by proxy, all Americans. It may not happen right away but it will happen. The reason this will happen is because private health insurors are just that - private. They are trying to make money. If they can't make money, they will adjust things until they do. The more the government gets involved, the more likely the health insurors will be pushed out and we'll be forced into a government system.

I'm looking for health care reform like everyone else. But my idea of health care reform involves regulations that keep insurance companies from exploiting their clients and an end to the frauds and ridiculous litigations that plague the industry right now. Fix the insurance companies but know full well that there are other causes to sky-rocketing rates. The government already knows this but they won't put forth any options to fix those. The health insurance companies are far easier targets. And even easier targets are average Americans.

I'm tired of the rush to get this job done. Let's take it in parts so we can be sure to get each part right. I suggest we start by dealing with fraud and litigation. How do we do that? I don't really know. I'm not an expert. But I suggest we start thinking about setting up a special fraud unit within the Department of Justice to look into Medicare and Medicaid Fraud, state run fraud units to investigate and handle state and local fraud, and let's consider a number of checks to insurance and malpractice litigation. I'm thinking of state or even county level committees that have the power to allow or block litigation in cases where they do not find enough compelling evidence that it should go on to a court. We already do this with grand jury investigations for criminal cases. I don't know who should be on these boards but it should be a mix of appointments, elected officials, doctors, and hospital representation.

Do you have any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment